Thursday, January 16, 2014

How do you wash YOUR diapers?

Washing diapers, the controversial topic, if ever there was one!

I honestly think it's whatever works best for you. . . Don't skin me alive just yet! There are some tricks and tips though, and it really is trial and error. Luckily, I have a routine that works for us, and I love it! So, do you wanna know? It's OK, I know you are DYING.

How many diapers should you add?

I have approximately 20-24 diapers with inserts, they all go in the wash at the same time (this is usually every other day to every 3 days).

You want to have enough water in the washing machine to cover all diapers. You also want to have enough diapers so that when it agitates your diapers rub against each other enough to come clean. This is important, you want it to look like soup (loose enough that they agitate and move around freely) NOT like chili (crammed in there tight enough they can't move around all loosey goosey). Remember, the diapers and inserts have to be able to get water in between them and hit against each other or they won't come clean!

How do you start to wash them?

I do a hot pre-wash and rinse first. This helps to break up the poo (which if you breast feed is water soluble and washes off pretty easily), and I don't rinse them off prior to throwing them in the washer. Once that's done (the pre-wash and rinse) I run a regular washing cycle with warm water and the detergent filled to the most soiled setting and dump it in.

Now, your wash cycle is done. What do you do now?

Depending on how long it's been I will use 1/4 cup of bleach, OR 1 cup of white vinegar (helps with hard water and stink issues) and repeat the rinse and spin 2x's. This is to make sure number one that your diapers don't stink and number two so that you can make sure to get all the detergent and bleach out of the diapers.

If you don't want to add bleach to the end of the process, you can add it during the actual washing cycle.

They're done washing, how do you dry them?

During the warmer days I put them outside on a clothes rack we bought at Dollar General and let them dry that way! The sun is a great disinfectant, and it helps whiten the inside of the diapers and the inserts. This is a great time to spray some lemon juice on them too, as an added bonus to disinfect them. Make sure your diapers are wet though so that the sun and lemon juice can do a most optimal job.

If it's cold outside and you a) either don't want to go outside or b) you're afraid your diapers may freeze, you can put them in the dryer. Yup, that's right, I said the dryer. I tumble on low/delicate and sometimes, I dry them on the regular setting.

Whew! That wasn't as hard as you thought?

Remember, this isn't a perfect science. This process depends on your washing machine (I have a top loader) I know it's different for an HE. I use my regular detergent, some people say NEVER do this. My diapers are just fine, they are more resilient that they're given credit for. I promise you won't mess them up horribly and you can always strip them (several hot washes with no detergents) and bring them back if the way you wash them doesn't work.

Don't worry too much, they're diapers. LOL They catch poop and pee, and even though they're super cute, you won't ruin them while you're learning what works best for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment